Now that I'm all grown up, I still make these delicious cookies with my kids, and they're the ones who wait anxiously and snatch up any little drips of dough. We probably made these cookies all the time growing up because they are SO easy, take only about 10 minutes to make, and require no special ingredients.
You probably have everything you need to make these little chocolate wonders sitting in our kitchen cabinets right now!
Want to start your own tradition? Here's the recipe that I grew up with...
Chocolate No Bake Cookies
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk
3 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Stir the butter, sugar, cocoa, and milk together in a saucepan, and cook on medium heat until it boils. Boil for about 3 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and add the oats, peanut butter, and vanilla. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
3. Drop by spoonful onto waxed paper, and allow the cookies to cool and harden slightly, which takes about 20 minutes.
Enjoy! I have so many happy memories of enjoying these delicious cookies with my family, and love making them for my family now.
You might also like to try these yummy Special K Bars or Chocolate Andes Cookies... two of my favorites!!
xo, Laura
If you liked this project, please follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Bloglovin', and Instagram.




We made the same cookies growing up minus the peanut butter. We called them Icebox cookies. It was a recipe from my Great-Grandmother. They are so quick and so easy to do. And yes the drips are the best!!
ReplyDeleteAren't they? And you don't feel so guilty eating up all those drips ;) Your great grandmother's recipe sounds good, too!
DeleteWow, these turned out great! Thanks for the awesome recipe! :)
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome Torrie, enjoy!!
DeleteCoconut can replace peanut butter (about one cup), and I've added flaxmeal as well instead of some of the oatmeal.
ReplyDeleteGreat additions, Shelley, thanks for the ideas! I need to try some variations of these cookies, just to mix it up a little since we eat them ALL the time!
DeleteDo these need to be refrigerated?
ReplyDeleteNo, it doesn't. These cookies are great the day you make them, good the next day, but don't keep for much longer than that. I know someone who freezes hers, and says they taste great after freezing, but I've never tried it myself.
Deletecan you just leave out the peanut butter for nut allergies?
ReplyDeleteI don't think it would be the right consistency if you just left it out, but you could substitute a peanut butter alternative, like NoNuts, in for the peanut butter. As long as the substitute has a similar consistency as peanut butter, I think it would be fine. Good luck!!
DeleteCan I just leave out the peanut butter for nut allergies? Or does something different need to replace it?
ReplyDeletehow many does this make???
ReplyDeleteGood question! It depends on how big you make them, but I'd say from memory that it makes at least 25-30 cookies- quite a bit! Good luck. These are one of our favorites at my house!
DeleteWhat type of oatmeal? Old fashioned, or quick oats?
ReplyDeleteGood question! I threw away the container because I pour the oats into big jar, but I just use the regular Quaker oats- I think the old fashioned ones? Hope that helps!
DeleteMy mom also made these cookies all the time as I was growing up! My brothers and I always loved them----Except the year my parents were on a serious heath kick and she used turbinado sugar, all natural peanut butter and carob, instead of cocoa. Those were horrible!
ReplyDeleteI'm in my 70s and this is a recipe my mother used to make. Found it just in time 'cus my oven is on the fritz. Now my sweet tooth will be happy. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteMine turned out too dry. Did I do something wrong? I ended up adding 1.25 more sticks of butter to get them to stick.
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome Liz! This recipe is an oldie but definitely a goodie!! :)
ReplyDelete