****************************** Giveaway is now closed *******************************
I made one of these wood mounted photographs for my mom's birthday gift a few weeks ago with our family photo on it, and she couldn't believe that I made it. It truly is one of my favorite projects. The finished surface of the photograph ends up looking almost like a canvas, and the end result looks very high end. And with Christmas in the near future, this would make a wonderful and inexpensive gift for your family or friends. I originally saw this idea at Mommy Models.
So let's begin! Here are the supplies that you will need:
I had these 12"x12" photos printed at Costco for only $2.99 each.
I bought a wood board that was 12"x 60"at Lowe's that only cost $7.77. I had someone there cut the board for me into 5 equal pieces, so that I ended up with 5 boards for 5 different photographs. So it ended up costing me less than $5 per photo board, which is a great price!
You can use any color of paint that you like. The color you choose will be what is painted on the edges of the wood, so make sure to pick a color that complements your photo.
First you need to sand the edges of the wood board, just to smooth it down a little.
Then paint the sides of your board. I painted two coats. If you are giving this as a gift, I would recommend painting the back too. If you are keeping it for yourself, you can either paint the back or leave it unpainted, since it will probably be hung on the wall or set on a shelf where the back won't be seen. I think that a woodstain would look really nice, too. I think I'll try that next time.
Next, paint a layer of Mod Podge onto the top of your wood board. Then stick your photo down on the board and smooth it down.
Next comes the scary part! Brush on a layer of Mod Podge on top of your photo. It will look like you ruined it, and you'll be wondering if you messed it up, but it will be okay! The Mod Podge dries clear, and will look fine after a few minutes.
I used horizontal brush strokes for the first layer, and once that dried, I brushed on a second layer using vertical brush strokes. This gave it a canvas-y look that I liked. Just make sure you use full brush strokes straight across, to make it smooth. Once the top dries, brush the sides with Mod Podge too.
Here it is all white with the Mod Podge...
And here are the finished products. Aren't they beautiful? You can see a little bit of the texture on the photographs. This project is so cheap, so easy, is very quick to make, and I hope you will give it a try! If you do make one, or have any questions about this project, be sure to leave a comment below.
If you like this project, you can enter your email address in the sidebar to receive an email when I post a new project. You can also click on the buttons in my sidebar to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', and Instagram.
Now, on to the giveaway!!!
I am beyond excited to be giving away a one hour photo shoot with photographer Tyler Little, a local San Diego photographer who takes family, wedding, engagement, newborn, and maternity photos.
The winner of this contest will receive a local one hour photo shoot with Tyler, and will receive an edited disc of high-resolution images. This would be the perfect opportunity to get your family Christmas portraits taken!
Here are some examples of Tyler's amazing work.

Here are the giveaway rules:
1. You MUST be a local San Diego resident to win the giveaway. Anyone may comment, but only a local commenter can win. If the chosen winner is not local, another winner will be chosen. Winner will be chosen at random, and will receive a one hour local San Diego photo shoot with photographer Tyler Little, and will receive a disc of high-resolution edited images.
2. To enter, please leave a comment below.
3. To earn a second entry, like Make Life Lovely on Facebook. Leave a separate comment telling me that you liked Make Life Lovely on Facebook.
4. To earn a third entry, enter your email address in the sidebar to alert you when there is a new post. Leave a separate comment telling me that you signed up to receive email alerts.
5. This giveaway will close at midnight on Saturday, November 10, 2012. The winner will be announced on Monday, November 12, 2012.
If you liked this project, please follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Bloglovin', and Instagram.








Oh my word I have to try this and I'm so excited to enter the giveaway! Tyler is so talented!!!
ReplyDeleteI already like you on Facebook. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd now I will be getting emails from you, yay!
ReplyDeleteGreat, thank you Mary! He is talented, isn't he? He's the only photographer I use :)
DeleteThanks for posting about this one! I'm definitely going to try it.
ReplyDeletei like you on facebook!
ReplyDeleteand i submitted my email...that is all. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for following. Good luck Jody!
DeleteI love this! I have made something similar with the San Diego temple on a block of wood. I am definitely going to try this! And I am so excited about the giveaway.
ReplyDeleteSo happy to hear you're going to try this! Be sure to come back and let me know how it goes.
DeleteI like you on Facebook! And I am going to share this.
ReplyDeleteI submitted my email also!
ReplyDeletethis is awesome. thanks. and Tyler is super talented.
ReplyDeleteThis is a perfect Christmas gift! Thanks for sharing! I think Tyler is awesome and would love family pics!
ReplyDeleteIsn't he great? I hope you try this project, you will love it!
Deleteliked you on FB
ReplyDeleteI also liked your page on Facebook.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to email updates!
ReplyDeletegetting emails.
ReplyDeleteDang lady you are seriously so crafty! Love the blog. I was planning on leaving a comment today and was super excited when I saw this post. Tyler is a very talented photographer.
ReplyDeleteWhy thank you! Perfect day to leave a comment :)
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI like you on facebook! Why don't they have a "love it" button?!
ReplyDeleteMe too, wouldn't that be great?!
DeleteSubmitted my e-mail! Have a great Monday!
ReplyDeleteTyler took the pictures for my sis-in-law's wedding - they turned out beautifully! I love the wood mounted photo - I think I found my Christmas presents! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteDevin Schallock
You are welcome, let me know how the project turns out!
DeleteJust liked you on FB! I'm excited to see what else you have on there.
ReplyDeleteDevin Schallock
Can't wait to be emailed to see more cute stuff!
ReplyDeleteDevin Schallock
Amy just told about your blog- so fun! This is the best give away!
ReplyDeleteThank you Wendy! Good luck, and welcome to my blog!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYour cousin linked me to your page and it's great! I did the same thing with the photos and framed canvas. I painted the edges afterward and hit the edges of the photos too. Love the end result! Your babies are precious.
ReplyDeleteThank you, I'm glad you like my blog! I still need to try the canvas method. As soon as I find more wall space, haha.
Deleteyou are so creative, love this idea!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Justyn! So glad you stopped by.
DeleteI LIKED YOU ON FACEBOOK
ReplyDeleteI SUBSCRIBED TO YOUR EMAIL ALSO. I am so trying so very hard for a lovely photo shoot but your so talented brother!!! (like all the so's?!)
ReplyDeleteJust randomly found your page. Just moved back to San Diego area. Would love to win the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteAwesome, so glad you found me! Good luck!
DeleteI also liked your page on facebook
ReplyDeletei love it!
ReplyDeleteThanks! So glad you stopped by :)
Deletei loved u on fb too!
ReplyDeleteHi, your work is awesome and I am about to try it. My question is what kind of wood did u get at lowes? Was it ply wood or exactly which kind and was the wood really heavy? 2nd question is will any kind of photo paper work since I will be putting mod podge on it and I don't want to ruin the photo. Thank you
ReplyDeleteYes, any type of photo paper should work just fine! See two comments below to see my answer about the wood. Hope that helps!
Deletewhere did you get your 12 by 12 photo prints att
ReplyDeleteAt Costco. They used to print 12 x 12, but someone told me that stopped doing it recently? I haven't tried printing that size again, so I'm not sure if they still do.
DeleteI have the same question as Amish - what type of wood did you use? Plywood is the least expensive, but I'm thinking that the edges would look bad, even when painted. And what thickness did you use? Thanks!
ReplyDeleteOh gosh, I wish I could remember the thickness. I know that it was 12 x 60", so I would ask someone who works there to show you where the wood is that are those dimensions, and I think you could find it pretty easily. No, it wasn't plywood- you are right, the edges of plywood would look horrible. The wood I used sanded very nicely, and worked great! Good luck finding it!
DeleteI'd like to ask, how has this photo mounted on wood held up over time?
ReplyDeleteIt's held up really well! It looks exactly like it did when I first made it. We gave a set of them to my husband's grandma, and they look perfect! I think the key is making sure that all of the air bubbles are out from underneath the print. Make sure to smooth it down really well and push out any air bubbles that might be underneath, because over time they can expand. The final product looks really great for the small amount of money that this project costs. Good luck!
Delete