Your child will look adorable wearing one of these to your Thanksgiving feast this year!! My girls are so excited to wear theirs.
These fall headbands are so easy and fast, you can whip them up in no time! The sewing is limited, or you can even do it all with the glue gun, and make it a no-sew project. It's all up to you!
| I used these pre-cut leaves I found at Michael's. |
Pre-cut felt leaves (or different colors of felt so that you can cut your own felt leaves)
Embroidery floss and a needle
Felt (for the headband part)
Glue gun
Sewing machine (optional)
When I saw these precut felt leaves at Michael's, I knew that they would make the perfect fall or Thanksgiving headband. They come in a pack with 5 different colors, three different styles of leaves, were 80% off (woo hoo!), and already have veins drawn on one side of them like this...
| Embroider over the drawn veins on the leaves. |
I liked the plain side best, because I thought the vein side looked a little cheesy. Then I had the idea of hand stitching right OVER the veins, so that you can't see them, but it gives the leaves a little something extra, and provides some contrast if you use a darker or lighter color of embroidery floss.
| Close-up of the stitching on one of the leaves. |
I loved the result! I used embroidery floss and an embroidery needle to stitch over the lines on just a few of the leaves. The rest of the leaves I turned around and left plain. You could stitch as many or as few as you want!
Next you need to make the headband portion. Cut a piece of felt about 4" wide and as long as needed to fit around your child's head with a little bit of overlap for the velcro. Fold the felt strip in half long wise (the hot dog way- sorry, I'm a former teacher ;) Then sew along both edges of the headband so that it is two layers thick and about 2" wide. I used a sewing machine for this part, but you could also hand stitch or use a glue gun. Hot glue or sew the velcro onto the headband so that it can be tightened around your child's head.
Next comes the fun part! Place the leaves how you would like them to look on the headband. Make sure to vary the leaf styles and colors. Use a glue gun to attach the leaves to the headband. And that's it!
My girls loved theirs, and even fought over who would get the green one. The younger one finally gave in when her big sister convinced her that princesses wear orange, not green, ha ha. Totally worked.
So what are you waiting for? Try making one of these easy fall headbands today! You can reuse it from year to year, it will look great in the Thanksgiving photos, and your child will think you're the best mom ever! (That's what my four year old told me when I gave her hers... soooo worth it)
And if you want to make a pilgrim hat for your son, check out my Boy's Thanksgiving Pilgrim Hat.
If you liked this project, please follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Bloglovin', and Instagram.
XO, Laura



0 lovely comments :
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment! I love hearing from you!