Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Inexpensive Party Decorating

One of my favorite things to do for my kids is to throw them a big birthday party each year.  As much as I love planning and decorating for parties, the costs can add up very quickly, especially with four kids!  One way I save money when planning parties is by getting creative with supplies and making our own decorations!  And one of my favorite money-saving party decorating supplies is Duck Tape!!  And no, this post is not sponsored, I just really love their products!

Yes, you heard me right, Duck Tape!!


I planned my daughter's third birthday party around an adorable roll of black and white zebra print Duck Tape I saw and just had to have.  It became the basis of the entire party, which was a Minnie Mouse birthday party, but with zebra print and pink accents.  I used it for the treat table, the homemade zebra print Minnie Mouse pinata, and even the party favors!  Here's how...

Treat Table:



For the treat table, I filled up different jars and vases with candy and treats, then decorated the outside of the containers some zebra Duck Tape and a label.  All I did was fold a strip of Duck Tape in half horizontally, and then used some glue dots to hold it down.

This was so easy, simple, and inexpensive- just a few bucks per roll, and I only used one roll!  It's also a great way to add a pop of color and design to your party decor.  And when the party was over, all I did was peel off the glue dots I used- no sticky messes to clean up!



Pinata:


After searching everywhere for a cute Minnie Mouse pinata and having no luck, I made this pretty pinata out of cardboard and duck tape!!  It was actually really easy and durable, and all I did was stick stick some Duck Tape Sheets  (found these at Staples) onto the finished pinata, and I had an amazing pinata that went perfectly with the rest of my party decor.  I love the way it turned out!!  



The pinata was almost too durable!  After the kids all had a try at smashing the pinata, we had to bring in the big guns, great grandpa, to finish the deed!  That was a lot of fun to watch, he was loving it!!

Party Favors:


One of the party favors were a candy bar, covered with zebra print tissue paper, and then a strip of bright pink and black zebra print Duck Tape wrapped around the middle.  These were really easy to make, and again, the tissue paper and tape incorporated the zebra design into the party favors.


Here's another little favor I created.  I took a photo of my daughter in her Minnie shirt, tutu, and ears, all made by me for the party, and cut a slit where her hand is and inserted lollipops and a little thank you tag.  Again, easy and inexpensive, but very cute and fun to give out!

I hope this gives you a few ideas of how you can decorate inexpensively for a party and still make it look amazing!  The Duck Tape comes in tons of great colors and patterns and is so easy to use, I will definitely be using it for future parties!!


Be sure to check out my tutorial for how to make these pretty DIY serving dishes in any color you like for less than 50 cents each!


You can see how I baked these cute mini cakes inside of baby food jars here- the perfect size for a kids serving for a party!


This DIY cake pop stand is an easy way to display your cake pops, suckers, or anything else on a stick!

xo, Laura

If you liked this project, please follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Bloglovin', and Instagram.
Pin It!

7 comments :

  1. This is such a wonderful party! I love all of the minnie mouse details. I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog! I really love the design and all of your content is so perfect! I will definitely be following you on bloglovin! Happy Friday!!
    xx. McKenna Lou
    www.lynnandlou.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much McKenna, and thanks for following! `1

      Delete
  2. Laura, What a cute party! Love the Minnie/Zebra mix!!! I am so glad I met you at SNAP this weekend. I love your blog and can't wait to read more from you!

    Emily @ www.thebensonstreet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! Glad to have met you at SNAP too! Such a fun 3 days!!

      Delete
  3. Thank you Jill! I had lots of fun making her outfit for the party and having a little photo shoot :) This girl LOVES getting her picture taken!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some cute ideas!!! I love the zebra duct tape :) I hope you stop by to link every week- http://atozebracelebrations.com/2013/04/tuesday-link-party-5.html
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks wonderful. Girl you sure do know how to throw a party! Newest follower from @ HickoryTrail

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I love hearing from you!

 
Blogging tips