Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Planter from a Dollar Galvanized Pail

With the weather so nice and warm the last few days here in California, I have really been wanting to bring the outdoors inside my home!

So far my husband and I have made a cool planter and candle holder out of baby food jars and a piece of wood, a two-foot long planter box full of daffodils, and I planted a bunch of wheat grass today (more on that next week!).  I usually let my husband do the gardening because he has a major green thumb, but this warm sunny weather has gotten me in the spirit!


I love the look of galvanized metal, and fell in love with these little pails when I saw them at Target.  They were in the dollar spot, but were on clearance for only 30 cents!  I bought up every single one at about 3 different Targets ;)  I thought they would make adorable little planters for inside my house!

I then bought these pretty flowers at Home Depot, which were on sale for only 50 cents! That makes the cost of a pail plus a plant only $1.50, which is fabulous (80 cents for me since I found some on clearance!).  


I talked to the "plant expert" at Home Depot, and he assured me that the flowers I bought, begonias, would be fine in my pail without a drainage hole in the bottom, as long as I didn't over water.  

If you wanted to use plants that require a lot of drainage, you could always just drill a hole in the bottom of your pail.  Make sure that you have the right amount of sunlight in your home that is required for the plant(s) that you buy.


All I did was remove my plants from their plastic container, add a little soil to the bottom of each pail, loosen the soil and the roots a little bit from the bottom of the plant,  and place them in their new galvanized home!  

This really couldn't be easier, but is a nice addition to any home, and a great way to welcome in spring!

Think you'll give these pretty planters a try?  Does it feel like spring where you are?

If you liked this project, please follow me on FacebookTwitterPinterest, Bloglovin', and Instagram.

Please share and pin!

Pin It!

4 comments :

  1. Thanks for the compliment. I really like your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I could totally do this one. While I'm absolutely in love with your wooden planter, this project is much better for someone like me who's not very handy :). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, maybe your husband would want to tackle the wooden planter box? ;) Yeah, this one is much more doable! Sometimes it's nice to keep it simple and easy, right?

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! I love hearing from you!

 
Blogging tips