Anne Hathaway, who usually kind of bugs me, was spectacular and utterly believable as poor Fantine. Hugh Jackman was an amazing and perfect Jean Valjean, and I loved Marius, Eponine, Gavroche, and the young Cosette as well. My only real complaint about this movie is Russell Crowe, who I usually love as an actor, but who fell totally flat for me as the unbending Inspector Javert. Javert only knows justice and the strict letter of the law, but Crowe's portrayal of him was nothing like in the book or the play. I read an interview with Crowe where he stated that when we watched the play for the first time he hated the character of Javert, and thought that it was "too black and white." He said that he wanted to "explore" the character, and portray him in a way that has never been done before. Didn't work for me. But that is my only minor complaint, I thought that everyone and everything else was brilliant!
If you have not seen this amazing movie yet, you need to go. Just remember to bring along a few tissues. And you might want to pick up the soundtrack on the way home, because you will be singing the songs for the next few days, and you might as well sing the correct words, right? ;)
Here's an extended trailer for the movie.
Samantha Barks as Eponine singing "On My Own."
I'd love to hear your opinions about the book, play, or movie! Are you a fan too?
Have a great weekend!! Is it really the weekend already?!
XO, Laura

Brian and I are going to see it tonight! Honestly, I know nothing about the story line so I'll have nothing to compare it to. But I'm sure I'll love it anyways! glad to hear you loved it!!
ReplyDeleteSo what did you think Carina? Did you love it?
Deletei did love it so much! what an amazing story! no wonder everyone says it's the best musical! even though it was super long it was totally worth it!
DeleteYes, the story is my absolute favorite. Happy to hear you loved the movie! Now you should try the book... and you thought the movie was long ;)
DeleteLaura,
ReplyDeleteGayle and I saw the movie Friday night. I totally agree with you on all counts. One more comment, even the the voices of some of the actors wasn't as powerful as I would have liked, or am used to in stage productions, I did appreciate that they had excellent diction and I could understand all the words they were singing. Never having read the book, I will say I understand more now having seen the movie than I did watching a stage production. It was SO POWERFUL. The songs are still in my mind 24 hours later... Yes, I cried, and by the time he sang "Bring Him Home" I was sobbing quietly as possible but shaking in my seat. If you go...no, you MUST go, but take some kleenexes.
Laura, I love your posts...Keep them coming!
Thanks Nancy! Great minds think alike, right? Yes, I understood some of the words better too, because of the diction and seeing their mouths up nice and close :) I was a crying mess, too. Thanks for commenting and reading!
Delete